Ever since its inception, the T20 World Cup has become one of the biggest spectacles out of the three current formats in Cricket. This was not the case when the tournament was started in the inaugural season in 2007 when India won the trophy. There have been a lot of teams who have won the trophy ever since so many T20 leagues are played across the world throughout the year and now the T20 World Championship holds much more value than it ever did in the grand scheme of things.
There have been a lot of amazing games over the years in the T20 World Cup. The grand final in the very first season between India and Pakistan, the epic West Indies vs England final in which Carlos Braithwaite hit 4 sixes in the last over to win the world cup for West Indies and then the crazy semi-finals and the finals that took place last year when Australia finally became the ultimate T20 Champions.
This year, the caravan of the T20 World Cup will now be played down under in Australia and the hosts are also the defending champions. So with the Australian summer approaching and the amazing matches, we are to witness, great ready for a grand spectacle.
Now that we are just weeks away from the T20 World Cup, let us look at the potential favourites of the tournament. The favourites to win the T20 World Cup are –
1. Australia – Well, defending champions and home advantage – this has to be one of the reasons they would be on our list right? No, it’s not just that. Australia has a very good T20 team and has good squad depth and is undoubtedly one of the strongest teams in the competition. Right from Warner to Starc and Hazlewood at the bottom, Australia has a player for every situation for every role and a backup for every role too. Marsh is in the form of his life. He will be one of the key players for Australia in the World Cup. Tim David and Maxwell provide the X-factor to this Australian side. Australia also boasts of some of the best bowlers in the format. A trio of Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood can make any team nervous. And they are also backed by the very dependant Adam Zampa in the spin department. Australia should be one of the best T20 teams in the tournament and will be looking to make it big in the tournament.
2. England – Yes, they don’t have Bairstow but they are still one of the strongest and the most destructive teams in the tournament. With Buttler and Hales opening the batting, they have the best batting combination in the tournament. David Malan and Liam Livingstone will follow after them and this top 4 is as good as any in the tournament. Stokes and Moen Ali will play as the team needs. England might be a little less potent on the bowling front. Their batting is as good as any but their bowling is not as lethal as that of Australia, England or Pakistan.
3. India – Yes, India doesn’t have Bumrah. But considering the form that the Indian team has shown over the last 2 years, one would be a fool to count them out. And with the way Virat Kohli, Surya Kumar Yadav, Hardik Pandya & Dinesh Karthik are middling the ball and the dominance they have shown, be prepared for the team India show. Shami has replaced Bumrah in the T20 team. And if India can take care of their bowling department, expect them to be in the finals of the tournament.
4. Pakistan – If you have been following cricket even a little remotely, you will know that this Pakistan team is creating records one after the other. And the opening pair of Rizwan and Babar Azam is breaking records one after the other. They have been just so brilliant and so dominant that the number 1 Batsmen’s position in the ICC T20 list has become a game of musical chairs between these two. (Surya Kumar has also joined in the game.)
5. South Africa – Yes, this might come as a little surprise to a few. But if you look at the current South African squad you will know that they have a very balanced team too. They have a very potent bowling attack in Rabada, Nortje & Ngidi. Two very good spinners in Shamsi & Maharaj. And the way Killer Miller is finishing off run chases, one would be a fool to rule them out.
So who do you think will be the champions of this year? Do comment below!