Leicester are FA Cup Champions

Image courtesy Twitter account of Leicester City
Article Top Banner 1

Leicester City have risen to the very top of English football in the last few years.

The Foxes have added yet another cap to their club’s name winning the FA Cup for the first time in their history today against Chelsea. 

Leicester won the Cup final against Chelsea by a margin of 1-0 after Youri Tielemens scored one of the goals of the season.

The win ends a losing run of 4 previous Cup finals for Leicester whereas it is the second successive FA Cup final loss for Chelsea.

Brendan Rodgers who has now become the first manager to win both the Scottish FA and English FA cups since Alex Ferguson.

Both sides, Leicester and Chelsea started off cautiously in the first half and did not take any major risks.

Chelsea dominated the play but did not threaten the opposition goal as much as they would have liked to. 

Timo Werner had a few half chances, from which could have scored but Leicester did well defensively and blocked them off.

The first half ended at 0-0 and was rather a pretty dull half for the 12,000 odd supporters who had been allowed to visit Wembley to watch the match.

Despite playing well, Leicester were unable to break down Chelsea’s defence and it took a moment of magic from Tielemens in the 63rd minute to break the deadlock.

The Belgian midfielder received a pass from Ayoze Perez about 25 yards from goal and thundered a strike into the top left corner.

Kepa Arrizabalaga made a valiant effort but the strike was one for the ages and settled the match.

Chelsea thought they had scored a final minute equaliser when Ben Chilwell scored against his former team.

The wing-back made a run into the box and his shot deflected off Wes Morgan into the net.

Chelsea fans were delirious and Chilwell celebrated with vigour against his former club.

However, all of the Chelsea fans’ emotions were brought to a close as VAR intervened and chalked off the goal for an offside in the build up to the goal. 

Leicester hung on for the final few moments of the game when eventually, Michael Oliver blew the full-time whistle, thus heralding a famous footballing night for the Midlands club.