The most-watched sport on the planet and the most-followed tournament in the world is here. It’s time for the FIFA World Cup 2022. Last time, 4 years ago when the World Cup was telecasted, 1.12 billion people were watching the finals. This figure is expected to increase manifolds.
32 big teams, and 64 huge games that will give the world a new world champion for the next 4 years. There are Premier Leagues, Champions Leagues & a host of other leagues that take place throughout the year but this is the ultimate prize and the ultimate trophy every footballer in the world wants to have in his cabinet.
Just to give you a jist, even two of the best players of all time – Ronaldo & Messi have not been able to win the trophy even once. And what’s even more amazing is the fact that both of these players are at the dawn of their careers and might be playing their last World Cup. If either of these maestros ends up winning this year’s World Cup, it would just be the poetic justice the world needs right now.
Let us look at the potential favourites to lift this year’s FIFA World Cup –
- France – Well, the defending champions of last year’s world cup have only grown from strength to strength. Last time, they won the world cup without Benzema. This time they have Benzema who just won a Ballon d’Or. They have some of the best players in the business at several key positions. France are not only just the defending champions. They are one of the best teams in the tournament who have a dangerous squad that can dismantle any opposition on a given day.
- England – England just missed out on the finals of the European Championship after losing the penalties. However, they have one of the most talented squads among all of the teams that are participating. They have a backup of a backup in almost every position. And the good news is that all those backups are also World Class players. England will be looking to win the FIFA World Cup and finally bring it home.
- Argentina – It has been more than 2 years since Lionel Messi and his Argentina squad have been beaten by anyone in International football. They have been playing some amazing football and they look like they are hungry for more. They look like a team who have a lot to achieve and a team who has the hunger to go all the way. If they can do so, it will just be the perfect ending for a player like Lionel Messi and his amazing career. Will the little magician bow out in style?
- Brazil – Can there be a football World Cup where Brazil is not one of the contender teams? Remember how they used to dominate football just a few decades ago? Well, this Brazilian team can do that again. They have some of the best dribblers and some of the best defenders in the tournament. All of these players play in the best leagues and the best teams around the world. Will we see the Samba dance in Qatar?
- Portugal – Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal and all of Ronaldo’s half a billion fans across the globe will be hoping that CR7 bows out of International football in some style. Portugal certainly have a good and talented squad. Now the only question that is left is if this talented squad can now play together and hold their nerve in key moments in key knockout games.
Who do you think will win the FIFA World Cup this time? Do let us know in the comments below