23 T20I’s done, 11 more to go till we have the winner of CPL 2022. The games have been coming thick and fast. The action has been nothing short of fantastic and there have been some amazing moments and some mind-boggling power-hitting. The caravan of CPL continues to ride on.
But now we are in the business phase of the tournament. A Stage where every ball, every run and every match can be worth its weight in gold. Just 7 league games left to decide who will be the top 4 teams that will qualify for the playoffs. And this time the competition is as open as it can be.
Apart from the Guyana Amazon Warriors, who have had a season to forget so far, all of the other teams are in the race for the play-off spot. Barbados Royal’s consistent run has ensured that they are assured of a place in the playoffs. For the rest of the teams, it will be musical chairs for the remaining places. Let us look at each of the teams, the points they have accumulated so far this season and their chances of going through to the next season.
- Barbados Royals – Barbados Royals have enjoyed one of their best ever CPL campaigns this time under David Miller. They have been the team to beat this season. They did themselves a huge favour at the beginning of the season when they won 6 out of 6 games they played. They will be looking to finish at the top of the table – the position which they have been holding up for quite some time now. Currently, they are placed on 14 points from their 8 games winning 7 and losing just a single game.
2. St Lucia Kings – St Lucia Kings are sitting pretty in the second position after 8 games winning 4 and losing 4. They will know that there is a lot of competition between the remaining 4 teams and on any given day, anybody can easily beat anybody. They will need to play well and win all their remaining games if they want to finish second after the league stages end.
3.Jamaica Tallawahs – Jamaica Tallawahs have also blown hot and cold this season. They won 4 and lost 4 games as well. On paper, they have a very power-packed side. The games however are not won on paper, are they? Captain Rovman Powell and his team will know that they cannot afford any more slip-ups if they want to win any silverware this season. St Lucia and Jamaica Tallawahs have an equal number of points in equal number of games, this will make the competition even more interesting between these two superb sides.
4. Trinbago Knight Riders – How the mighty have fallen! One of the first names to qualify every year and that too with some dominating performances year after year has now been struggling big time. Just a few games before they were at the bottom of the table. But one thing that is always guaranteed with a side like Trinbago is that they always find a way to make a huge comeback considering the experience and firepower they have. Every team will know that TKR is the biggest threat they have to contain. But will a struggling TKR find a winning combination and play like their old self? Well, that remains to be seen.
5. St Kitts & Nevis Patriots – St Kitts & Nevis Patriots will have to come back with some superlative performances and not just from one or two players but their team as a whole. They have somehow not been able to click together as a unit. The good thing is they still are in with a slight chance. They will need to grab every catch and capitalise on every run if they want to go through.
6. Guyana Amazon Warriors – Guyana – One of the most consistent sides in the competition has had a tumultuous season so far. Guyana has won only one game from their 6 games and is at the bottom of the points table with just 3 points from their 6 games. They will be looking to finish the season on a high at least to give something to their fans to cheer about. Their chances of qualifying look very very slim and it is shocking to see one of the most consistent sides in CPL folding like this so soon.
So as we can see, no other team apart from Guyana is completely out of the playoffs. This sets up things pretty nicely going into the last week of the last stages before the playoffs. Who do you think will qualify? Do let us know in the comments below.